Okolona Industrial School. Records

Identity elements

Reference number


Level of description



Okolona Industrial School. Records


  • 1921-1965 (Creation)


.3 cu.ft. (2 boxes partial)

Name of creator


Founded in 1902 by Wallace A. Battle, Okolona Industrial School did not become affiliated with the Episcopal Church until 1920 when the Diocese of Mississippi and ACI assumed oversight. The school was renamed Okolona College in 1932. In 1965 the Diocese of Mississippi decided to transfer its funding from Okolona College to areas of the state it considered to have greater need, and the school closed that same year.

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

ACI records on Okolona School include meeting minutes of the Board of Trustees (1938-1953, 1966) and its Executive Committee (1941, 1948-1952), the school President’s reports (1937-1942, 1944-1946, 1948), and financial records (1935-1968). ACI Director’s correspondence (1937-1944, 1950-1951) is primarily with the school’s principals and the bishops of Tennessee and Mississippi. This series includes a survey report of the school by the George Peabody College for Teachers (1946).


This material constitutes file series 14 of the ACI archive.

Conditions of access and use elements

Access conditions

Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy. Research requests must be submitted in writing.

Technical access

Rights and permissions

The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.

Languages of the material

  • English

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Descriptive inventories

Acquisition and appraisal elements


Related materials elements

Related records and archives

Notes element

Description control element

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places