The Living Church. Publication

Identity elements

Reference number


Level of description



The Living Church. Publication


  • 1878- (Creation)


33.5 cu.ft. (18 boxes and approximately 171 volumes)

Name of creator


For more than a century, The Living Church has been the most consistent independent formal observer of The Episcopal Church, imbued from its beginning with an Anglo-Catholic outlook that remains a trademark of the publication to the present day. It was founded in 1878 by the Reverend Doctors Samuel Harris and John Fulton, who quickly realized the difficulty of balancing their responsibilities as editors with their responsibilities as clergy and sold the publication to the Rev. Charles Leffingwell in May of 1879. It continued under Leffingwell’s stewardship until 1900, when it was acquired by Linden Morehouse’s Young Churchman Company in a transition that expanded its recognition and readership. For the next 52 years, The Living Church grew under the editorial guidance of members of the Morehouse family, who left an indelible impression on the publication as lay persons actively involved in the governance and polity of The Episcopal Church, before Clifford Morehouse passed on the editorship in 1952 to the Church Literature Foundation, a non-profit organization renamed The Living Church Foundation in 1963. The Foundation’s editors of The Living Church include Peter Day (1952-1964), the Rev. Dr. Carroll E. Simcox (1964-1977), the Rev. Dr. Harry Boone (1977-1990), David Kalveleage (1990-2009), Dr. Christopher Wells (2009-2019), and the Rev. Mark Michael (2019-).

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This collection is primarily composed of bound volumes and single issues of The Living Church magazine. The bound volumes, which begin with Volume 3 (May 6, 1880-April 30, 1881) and continue through Volume 245 (July-December, 2012), were bound for and explicitly donated to the Archives as preservation copies by The Living Church Foundation. Single issues begin with Volume 246, number 1 (January 6, 2013), and continue through the present day. The Archives also holds Volume 1 (November 2, 1878-October 30, 1879) and Volume 2 (November 6, 1879-May 6, 1880) on microfilm only.


Microfilm, 1878-1880
Bound, 1880-2012
Single Issues, 2013-present

Conditions of access and use elements

Access conditions

Access to Episcopal Church records is governed by the Archives Public Access Policy. Research requests must be submitted in writing.

Technical access

Rights and permissions

The Archives is able to respond to limited requests for reproductions subject to copyright restrictions, internal policy, and the condition of the source documents.

Languages of the material

  • English

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Descriptive inventories

Acquisition and appraisal elements


Related materials elements

Related records and archives

Young Churchman/Living Church Publishing. Records

Related descriptions

Notes element

Description control element

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places