Living Church Foundation, The

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Living Church Foundation, The

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The Living Church Foundation, Inc. began in 1928 as the Church Literature Foundation. This non-profit religious corporation was established with two purposes: to publish Episcopal literature and, more specifically, to support The Living Church in the years the publication operated at a loss.

In the Spring of 1952, after over two decades of this financial relationship, Morehouse-Gorham Co. transferred ownership of the publication to the Church Literature Foundation. Clifford Morehouse resigned as editor on April 30, ending fifty-two years of his family’s editorial oversight, and on May Day of that year, The Living Church became the Foundation’s flagship publication.

Eleven years later, in 1963, the Church Literature Foundation changed its name to The Living Church Foundation, Inc. to reflect its continuing stewardship of The Living Church. It still operates today as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that publishes twenty issues of the magazine a year.

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier


Level of detail


Dates of authority record entries

Maintenance notes

Rules and conventions

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places